Bilingual Storytime Assistant (100505)
*$40.83 per hour (Band 3) includes loading and super *Casual
About the Role
Hume Libraries has an exciting opportunity for a bilingual or multilingual person to join our Community Engagement Team. As a casual Bilingual Storytime Assistant you will be responsible for conducting Storytime sessions in a variety of community settings throughout Hume. This includes planning and delivering children's activities, providing statistics and feedback, and ensuring delivery of high-quality services to the Hume community. This position will need to maintain effective working relationships both internally and with external providers. You will usually work independently and also as part of a larger team with support available through Hume Libraries.
- Prepare and present Storytime sessions to parents/carers and children in a wide range of community settings and appropriate Council service points
- Maintain effective working relationships with internal staff, preschools, child-care centres, playgroups, maternal and child health centres and other service providers
- Actively promote library membership, programs and services including to Storytime audiences and early childhood services
- Make referrals to other community services, using provided resources
- Work collaboratively with other staff in a team environment
- Participate in special events, including school holiday programs when required
- Collect and record statistical data for Storytime, special events and school holiday program as required
- Participate in team meetings
- Assist with programs across Council as required
Skills and experience
- Certificate III in Children's Services or similar, Certificate III in Library/Information Services, or equivalent on-the-job experience or training
- Experience and confidence with engaging with children, families and community service providers (e.g. playgroup leaders, preschool educators, etc.)
- Bilingual Storyteller or Playgroup Leader experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to fluently speak, read, tell stories and write in English and in a language other than English, and preferably a language that is widely spoken in Hume
- Understanding of early language and literacy development
- Self-motivated with the ability to work effectively within a team environment or independently
- Well developed time management and organisational skills
- Functional skills in utilising Microsoft Office applications, email and internet
- Availability to attend professional development sessions, training and team meetings
- Current Victorian Driver License, access to a vehicle and willingness to travel around the municipality
- Current Working with Children Check
Hume City Council is a leader in local government and is recognised for its innovation, initiative, leadership, service, quality and support for its people.
Hume City is one of Australia's fastest-growing communities and with more people choosing to call Hume home, we're expected to welcome more than 57,000 new residents to our City over the next decade.
What We Offer
With our high level of employee engagement, Hume City Council offers a great working environment where you can develop your career. We offer flexible work arrangements and other benefits, such as study assistance and interest-free loans for public transport. Our strong commitment to social justice and the environment provides opportunities for employees to participate in various programs.
For further information please view position description or contact Wendy Byron on 9356 6900.